Instructions & schedule for course registration and cross registration can be found below.
Your registration appointments are also listed in SSOL. You will have the opportunity to change your schedule throughout the regular registration and Add/Drop periods.
If you’re looking for tips on how to select classes, please see the Courses page.
The information below is adapted from multiple emails from the administration.
- Regular Registration: Monday, November 16 – Friday, January 8 (You may only register during your assigned registration appointment times during this period, which are available on SSOL. )
- Add/Drop Registration: Monday, November 16–Friday, January 8. More info on the Add/Drop period.
- Spring 2021 Classes Begin: Monday, January 11. Consult Academic Calendar for details.
- Log in to SSOL using your UNI and password at https://ssol.columbia.edu/
- Check your registration appointment times are under “Reg Appts & PIN”. You may only register during your assigned registration appointment times, which are available on SSOL.
- Select Registration from the Menu.
- Click Add to include courses on your schedule, providing the 5-digit call number. The 5-digit call number can be found in the Directory of Classes.
- If you have successfully registered yourself for a course, you will see the following message: “Adding SUMA K1111 S001 was successful. The change is effective immediately. See the new schedule below.”
- If you have not been successfully registered for a course, please follow the instructions provided by the error message OR select another course. (Possible sources of error messages include, adding courses for which you do not have Instructor or Department permission to register, selecting two courses that meet at the same time, selecting a course that is full, or attempting to register for more than 18 credits per semester.)
- As you register for courses in SSOL, you will see an opportunity to indicate your preference for taking each course on campus or online. Please fill out this information as soon as possible so that we can develop a plan for in-person classroom attendance. More details on Selecting Method of Instruction
Columbia Business School
Columbia Business School cross-registration instructions will be posted to the cross-registration page when they are announced. Based on previous years, a tentative list of available courses should be posted in August and the cross-registration application will become available at the end of August. You can check the cross-registration page for updates.
Complete details regarding cross-registering for courses at Columbia Law School can be found here. Only full-time MS students are permitted to cross-register for these courses. This rule has been established by Columbia Law School, and there are no exceptions. The MS program does not generate a list of pre-approved courses from Columbia Law School. If you are interested in taking a Columbia Law School course, please email me directly for approval. Please include the full course title, description and proposed curriculum area.
The Fu Foundation Graduate School of Engineering does not have a formal cross-registration procedure. The approved courses are included in the attached and are available for cross-registration in SSOL. If a course is listed as not open to your school or requires you to satisfy a pre-requisite, you can register via Registration Adjustment Form with instructor approval by email to the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation courses available for cross-registration will be announced on at the end of August 2020. The list of available courses will be sent by email.
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences does not have a formal cross-registration procedure. The approved courses are included in the attached and are available for cross-registration in SSOL. If a course is listed as not open to your school or requires you to satisfy a pre-requisite, you can register via Registration Adjustment Form with instructor approval by email to the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com.
The MS and Certification programs do not generate a list of pre-approved courses from the Mailman School of Public Health. A listing of courses offered by Mailman will be posted here. If you are interested in taking a Mailman School of Public Health course, please email me directly for approval. Please include the full course title, description and proposed curriculum area. With program approval, you can complete your registration with the cross-registration form.
SIPA has not yet announced the courses available for cross-registration. When the classes available for cross-registration for the fall 2020 semester are announced, they will be posted here. When the courses are announced, they will be included in the attached document and assigned to curriculum areas. We do not yet know which courses are likely to be made available or when course announcements will be posted to by SIPA, but we expect that they will begin in late July with additional courses added through the start of the semester. You can check here for updates.