On Tuesday, October 2, 2012, Jim Gowen, Chief Sustainability Officer and Vice President of Supply Chain Operations at Verizon will come to the Earth Institute, Columbia University to speak to students in the MPA-ESP, MSSM, SDEV and Sustainability Analytics Certificate programs.
Jim will discuss the following topics:
- His career path leading up to his role at Verizon as CSO and VP of Supply Chain Operations
- How he took on being a change agent for sustainability
- The initiatives he has championed in energy efficiency andcarbon emission reduction and how he gets the work done with his Green Team
- How Verizon encourages sustainability outside of the office
- His overall perspective of sustainability and the telecommunications industry
Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Where: Kraft Center – Rennert Hall 606 West 115th Street, New York, NY 10025
Time: 4:30 PM – 5:45pm PM (Check in begins at 4:00pm)
Jim Gowen Bio
Jim Gowen is a change agent. Since taking on the complementary roles of vice president of Supply Chain Operations and chief sustainability officer for Verizon in 2009, he has enlisted more than 9,100 employees in 20 countries to help reduce the company’s environmental footprint.
Gowen oversees “green” initiatives across Verizon including the introduction of a carbon intensity metric, fuel and energy reduction, paper suppression, waste reduction and recycling. In his supply chain role, Gowen leads centralized operations with responsibility for more than $2.5 billion in annual through-put.
Gowen earned his master’s degree in business administration from Long Island University and his bachelor’s degree from Manhattanville College. He is located in Basking Ridge, New Jersey.
A special thank you to Nicole deFuria, MSSM student and Senior Consultant – Process Engineer at Verizon, for helping to make this happen.