AKA Change of Program Period
AKA Course Shopping Period
During the Add/Drop period, students can add and drop courses online using Student Services Online (SSOL). It’s a very exciting — you can check out all the courses you want and find out if they meet your expectations, after all the research you’ve done. The official Add/Drop period begins on Tuesday, September 8, and ends on Friday, September 18.
Before we get into the details, you should first save the date for these two SUMASA events! You’ll learn about courses, professors, and how to plan your time at Columbia to prepare for a career in sustainability management:
Course Speed Dating
Thursday, September 10 | 8:15pm – 9:15pm.
Join us on Zoom and get to know the awesome SUMA courses offered this Fall and the stellar professors that teach em’! Chat with current students who’ve taken these courses and learn the ins-and-outs of each! Feel free to bring a beverage of choice to sip on while learning all about our program’s great Fall classes.
Curriculum & Careers
Tuesday, September 15 | 8:15pm – 9:15pm
Ever wonder which classes are best for particular career paths? Or whether there’s a specific sequence to take classes in for career switchers? Bring your questions to an informal Q&A discussion with Professor George Sarrinikolaou, Director of the Earth Institute’s Office of Academic and Research Programs.
Register on Eventbrite for event reminders
The following is adapted from the 9/3/20 email from Barry S. Kane/University Registrar:
The Add/Drop period will take place exclusively online for Fall 2020. Canvas sites will be set to be accessible to anyone with a Columbia UNI and password so that all students can access the Zoom class meeting links via Courseworks. If you are not currently registered for a course that you plan to “shop”, you should attend the class online. Do not visit the course in person.
To find the Zoom link:
- Log in to Vergil and search for the class.
- Click on the class you’re interested in and then the text link More Information.
- Click on the a button View in Courseworks, this will take you to the course Courseworks page. (If there’s an error, double-check that you’re logged in.)
- Click on Zoom Class Sessions on the left.
Important Dates (Registrar Calendar)
- Tuesday, September 8 – Start of Add/Drop period.
- Friday, September 18 – End of Add/Drop period. The last day to for students to add/drop classes and the last day that instructors may add a student from the Wait List for full-term. The Wait List tool will close at 9:30 p.m. Students may be added to a course from the Wait List overnight into Saturday, September 19, and are urged to check their Wait List status on Friday, September 18, before 9:30 p.m.
If you need to change classes after the Add/Drop period, you may do so on September 21. This may result in financial liability and full tuition charges may be incurred for any courses added or dropped after the Change of Program period. Visit the Post-Change of Program Add/Drop page for more guidance about this process.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.